Saturday, May 25, 2013

WARNING: www.chinesetools.net Pages Have Been Hijacked by an Apostate Site

WARNING: As of this writing, trying to load any page on www.chinesetools.net, where many of the existing Chinese field resources were located, now results in getting redirected to an apostate website.


I am working to resolve this unfortunate situation, and I will post updates as they become available.


UPDATE (2013-05-26): Sadly, I have received confirmation that the one who owns the www.chinesetools.net domain has turned apostate, and that he is the one who redirected the site.


Going forward, I will be recreating at http://troubadourworks.com/tiandi (which I personally own) the resources that used to be at www.chinesetools.net. (It’s a good thing I kept backups!) I will also have to update all the links that used to point to there, including those on 3lines.org. That will be a lot of work, but doable. I already did much of that work before I had to go to sleep last night, and now I know that I need to finish it. I will post updates on this blog re the progress of that work.


Meanwhile, for any who have the technical knowledge to do so, until there are new links, they will be able to reach the recreated resources, when they become available, by replacing

www.chinesetools.net

in their old links with

http://troubadourworks.com/tiandi


UPDATE (2013-07-06): I think the worst is over. Much of the cleanup (including that of all the links on 3lines.org) has been done, although some still remains to be done, including on some old entries on this blog and on the tiandi.info blog, which I will get to as time allows. I hope to eventually get out an update to the Links file too, with cleaned up links.


There are some links that I just don’t have access to clean up, though, such as those in Links files, in emails, etc. that I have sent out to people in the past. So, all you users out there are just going to have to continue to be careful to avoid any old links that lead to www.chinesetools.net. (Mousing over or tapping and holding on a link will show you its destination without you actually having to go to it. Note that on PC/Mac, etc. browsers, you may have to manually set the status bar to be visible first.)


On a more positive note, there are, and there will be, many good current and future links to focus on instead. Many of the most used previously existing resources have been recreated, although some remain to be recreated, such as the web pages for Chinese courses. New resources will also continue to be developed, such as those referred to here.


Also, be sure to check out the new, convenient short links discussed here.


This situation has reminded me of this quote:

“The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.”

This adapted version applies to us faithful Witnesses:

“Jehovah’s Witnesses on the Net interpret apostasy as damage and route around it.”